Ohio Living Offering New Services for Chronically Ill
Toledo, Ohio — Ohio Living has expanded its continuum of care with the launch of palliative care services in the greater Toledo market. Palliative care is defined as aggressive pain and symptom management for patients with chronic illness. Palliative care is most appropriate for those with an average life expectancy of one to two years if the chronic disease were to progress as expected.
The Ohio Living Palliative Care team is comprised of experienced and compassionate physicians, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, social workers and other specialists. They work with patients and their physicians to help provide relief from pain, shortness of breath, COPD, nausea, anxiety, depression or frequent visits to the emergency room. Palliative care can be provided at any stage in the continuum of care, including during aggressive or curative treatments.
Ohio Living Palliative Care offers:
- In-depth experience helping relieve the symptoms of a disease or disorder
- A full range of services provided by one of our nurse practitioners, based on the patient’s unique needs
- Family meetings to discuss the goals of the patient’s care and make treatment choices
- A personal treatment plan with goals based on the patient’s specific needs, concerns, symptom management and relief from suffering
- Coordination of care across health care services to maximize quality of life, regardless of the stage of illness
One study found that patients who received palliative care in their homes:
- Were more satisfied with their care
- Were more likely to die at home, instead of the hospital
- Were less likely to visit the emergency department
- Were less likely to be admitted to the hospital
- Had lower medical costs overall
“We’re proud to begin offering this service and make an impact on people’s lives in the greater Toledo area,” said Wendy Price Kiser, Executive Director of Ohio Living Palliative Care – Greater Toledo, who leads the operation. “Because of our expertise in home health and hospice care, Ohio Living is well-positioned – and well-prepared – to make a difference for people with chronic illness.”
“Ohio Living is at the forefront of systems and technology that help us provide the best in patient care,” said Joyce Miller, Chief Information Officer of Ohio Living, who led the implementation of this service. “Our palliative care services are filling a critical need, and we look forward to driving innovation in this area in the years to come.”
Ohio Living is working to expand palliative care to its other Ohio markets. Call 419.865.1499 to learn more or visit ohioliving.org.
Ohio Living is one of the nation’s largest not-for-profit, multi-site aging services organizations, is Great Place to Work — Certified™ and a 2018 Fortune magazine Best Workplace in Aging Services. Since 1922, Ohio Living has defined the highest standards of quality of life for adults through its 13 life plan communities and Ohio Living Home Health & Hospice, with support of the Ohio Living Foundation.